Background

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Seasoned

I remember the first thrill I got from the seedling of a thought, "Maybe I can do this; maybe I can be an artist!"

Van Gogh said that he would dream at night about painting, then get up and paint his dream.  I dreamed about
painting to.  I longed to to be an illustrator, sculptor or painter.  The problem lied with when I got up, I could not paint my dream!

I spent many years in frustration.  Yes, I had turned a waterfall purple and that was cool... but was it real art?  Could I do it again?

"Seasoned" was my first piece of art that I considered to have real potential.  It was late winter of 2009, the kids had gone to bed and, David, to play basketball with the ward.  I had nothing to do!

For several years (about 4) I had been taking pictures of ordinary yet, to me, beautiful things.  I sat down at the computer and began to browse the images... there was something there, I knew it!  I stopped on a photo of a simple fall leaf on the sparkling white snow.  I loved the contrast of the orange on the brilliant white.  I loved the delicate, yet intricate, features of that fallen leaf.  It was more than what it seamed.  It had lived it's life, it was "seasoned" and it had a story to tell!

I remembered the waterfall and contemplated... "I wonder" 4 hours whizzed by; David came home, stinky and wet.  I will never forget how he stopped in his tracks and admired that piece of art I had just made in awe!  Only hours before, he had walked by the same leaf without a second thought.  This is the effect I wanted to have on people.  This was art!

View "Seasoned"at:
http://www.meloniepacker.com/Photography/My-Gallery/11642051_hxp3F#!i=790035976&k=FuzYz

(check out my work at http://www.meloniepacker.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment