Background

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Great Experiment

Day 1 of The Great Experiment:


"Who's gonna place value on that? You, that's who! Ain't no one gonna do it for you. You pick a price and, suddenly, that's what it's worth! List it on Ebay For $100,000 and see what happens!"
That was a rough quote from our southern friend; speaking in reference to my art. (Who, by-the-way, believes in his theory so much, he jokes about living off of 1% of the profits!) He's right. ...At least I believe he is.

If you asked any level-headed, down-to-Earth-type person you would be considered "unrealistic" to set your sights so high.

The question is: Who am I trying to appeal to? Are the realist majority who I want for my market? If so, I'd better learn to love the "gypsy" way of life! (Meaning: to travel from state to state, show to show barely turning a profit.) ...Or, will I shoot for the stars?

I believe the saying, "You are who you roll with". If I want to be successful, I think I need to start learning from the miracle workers; the idealists.

This reminds me of something Van Gogh said:



"It is better to be high-spirited even though one makes more mistakes, than to be narrow-minded and all too prudent."
Vincent Van Gogh
Thanks, Vincent. I have been inspired, yet again, to ask myself, "What if?".


The plan:

Today, I will list my pieces on Ebay and Etsy for 100x the amount they are currently marked at. I will change my website to match the new prices and monitor and blog the results.


This is a weird felling for me... I feel somewhat nervous, like I am breaking some unwritten rule; yet it's surprisingly invigorating!


"Painting is a faith, and it imposes the duty to disregard public opinion."
Vincent Van Gogh

(check out my work at http://www.meloniepacker.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment