Background

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Down to the Nitty-Gritty

Summer is here and is being thoroughly enjoyed by my little family and me. I find it difficult to be indoors when so much is going on outside. However, I have managed to edit and finish my photo book! (Actually, it was quite exciting in spite of the sun-shiny weather that was beckoning me...) Also, I've tackled mounds of tedious research (not so fun).
We self-published one book through an Amazon company online for a small fee (about $14) so that we could share the copy with our friends and family then discuss it. I was thrilled to receive the published book with my name boldly written on the front cover! We passed it around and everyone liked it. Then... you guessed it, I got those dreaded butterflies again. The good news is that the book could be hid in a drawer to give me some space whenever I felt nauseated. (I am so grateful I'm not doing the fair thing anymore!)
A few weeks ago, I decided to print out a manuscript and send it in to a publisher. (The manuscript cost $95... so you see why we printed the book!) Rude awakening: most publishers wont even look at your manuscript without an agent! What's an agent? Oh, he's the profit-sucking middleman that jumps in between you and your potential publisher and banks off of your life's work. It seems you wont win out there without him... Brilliant really! I ended up finding one publisher that suggests an agent but promises to look at it without one!
David is reading this book for us about true self-publishing; as in starting your own publishing company then hiring out for the printing. Interesting idea... the rough part would then be all of the extra work you'd have to put into marketing. We really don't have any capitol left to get the ball rolling. So, meanwhile, we wait. Maybe we'll get lucky; maybe not... Anyhow, I got to see my name in print!

(check out my work at http://www.meloniepacker.com)

(check out my work at http://www.meloniepacker.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment